• Announcements

• brockied

Introduce Yourself   02/10/2017

If you would like you can introduce yourself to the forum.     
    • brockied

Help us make a great forum   02/24/2017

We are looking for people to help out with the forum voluntarily just to post on the forum and keep things going. You will become a moderator and will have the power to manage posts. Roles:
      Move posts that are in the wrong place
      Delete spam and offensive posts
      Give warnings to people abusing the forum and not going by the rules
      Post on the forum to keep things interesting If you would like to be a moderator of just a part of the forum for example the Second Life section and manage that area this is also helpful. So if you have worked on a forum before or know how one works contact the admin (http://ontopica.net/profile/1-brockied/) and be part of our team. Let's make a great forum!.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghost_Writer

Death Penalty: "Yes" or "No"? Why?

Question

The arguments can be the most varied, but I'll always think this way: Considering the gravity of the crime committed by the person... Yes, I'm in favor. :ph34r:

So... for me, it's 50% to 50%. B|

21 answers to this question

I am of the opinion that crimes that never resulted in death intentionally shouldn't attract capital punishment. Instead of death penalty why not put proactive measures in place to check heinous crimes

Edited by tonyb

It depends. I'm 50/50 as well to be honest. If it's a crime like fraud, theft, drinking and driving then maximum jail time. However criminals like rapists, paedophiles, murderers in my opinion should get the death penalty as they are the worst type of person and do not deserve to live in this world. Some of these criminals once they get out of jail just go back to committing the same crimes. Why should innocent people have to suffer?

I am not in favor of death penalty.  It has been proven that other than exacting an 'eye for an eye' type of revenge, the death penalty was never a deterrent to crime and has no solid value to society. There is always a possibility of a mistake in the trial and review  of a case and it could be too late to realize the mistrial. In my country, lifetime imprisonment is worse than death because of the dismal prison situation. A convicted criminal who committed a heinous crime should be made to suffer by serving the maximum jail term and not being eligible for parole. 

This is a hard question really. I do think some criminals should be killed, I mean the really bad ones who are no use to society and just take up taxpayers money. There is a problem though, some could be innocent though are not proven to be until after they are killed. I think you would have to be sure 100% before going ahead. I don't see why we should keep someone alive when they have killed others and the trouble with our system in the UK life does not mean life and they get let out to kill other people it's not right. 

I believe death penalty has to be there, but to the bare minimum and in rarest of the rare cases.  For example crimes like rape, terrorism which result in death (physical or psychological) of innocent people should not be forgiven.  Moreover such anti-social elements can be a threat to the society as a whole. So what we would do to a wild animal that attack us and our families?

In the present scenario acts like terrorism result in killing of innocent civilians including women, kids etc.  If we keep the terrorist in prison, other terrorists may hijack one of our planes and ask for his release.  History says it well

I am in favor of the death penalty provided the judicial system has no loopholes and it can guarantee the accuracy of its decision particularly with the sentencing of the death penalty. Right now, I don't believe that all those in the penitentiary who were given a life sentence are guilty of their crimes. Maybe there is a small percentage of them that were given wrong punishment. So what happens if a convict sentenced to die was later found out not to be guilty? He is already dead, huh. 

Death penalty what for? To solve crimes of any form, I think it is the solution. The solution is to educate everyone, to involve everyone on the solution of a crime.

This is a topic that's going to get varied opinions and both sides have a good argument, but for me it depends on the crime. Sex crimes, pedophiles and the like, for me, can't be rehabilitated and prison is supposed to be a punishment but also a way to rehabilitate an individual, so there's no point in keeping somebody in prison for the rest of their life, if there's no chance of them ever coming out and being a valuable member of society again.

That being said I think every crime needs to be judged individually, and we can't say that everybody that does A, B or C deserve to die because in crimes that are that serious, all the circumstances need to be looked at before a judgement is delivered. Is a person classed as a murderer for example if they help a terminally ill person to commit suicide? In some countries they are sentenced for murder and in others it's assisted suicide or manslaughter so there's a big difference on how the law see's certain crimes so it can't be a one punishment fits all society.

Instead of waiting to get people punished after committing a crime why not put measures in place to frustrate every negative effort to commit a crime by the citizens. I think this should be the priority of the government.

17 minutes ago, tonyb said:

Instead of waiting to get people punished after committing a crime why not put measures in place to frustrate every negative effort to commit a crime by the citizens. I think this should be the priority of the government.

How? We can't punish people before they commit a crime. All we can do is try and punish those that have committed a crime and hope that their sentence puts others off doing the same offence. Crimes will always be for all manner of reasons no matter what we do to educate people so while the punishment might not prevent crime, it can used as an example to others and a warning as what happen to them in the future.

Committing a crime is too subjective. Ever since the world began, crime was already committed. Crime against morality, crime against humanity, crime against nature, among others were being punished and the punishment is death. Did criminality stop? No. It didn't. It is even continued as to this time. If the point is to stop it by reimposing death penalty, the answer is big no. It couldn't be stopped. Therefore, my answer is no. It is too subjective. I repeat.

I say yes to this. In my country, Drug dealers roam the streets. Murderers, Rapists, Drug addicts, kidnappers do crime and get away with it. A place like this really needs the death penalty. It's the closest thing that can be done other than magically getting rid of the criminal before the crime is done. If the government makes an example to other criminals, a lot might change their minds before doing a crime. Make an example out of the existing criminals who haven't changed a bit though they have been locked up for years. A lot of people might say I'm too harsh, but I'll just tell them they might not tell me the same thing if one of their family members becomes a victim of these criminals.

I am not for or against Death Penalty per se, but it needs to be decided according to the case and the gravity of the crime that has been committed. Recently, in my country there has been a spurt of sex crimes and many are demanding that the rapists be punished with death penalty. But my  question is, will a death penalty prevent such crimes. On the contrary, the rapists will now resort to killing their victims for fear of being caught later and executed. On the other hand, there are those criminals who are antisocial to the core and can never be rehabilitated or cured of their antisocial nature, such criminals can be considered for such extreme punishments.

Nature of the crime should be the deciding factor for this. Some crimes are so heinous that no mercy could be shown to the criminal. There're very few instances where a mercy could have changed an offender. 

But, the other side of the of the coin should equally be considered. Some crimes are not planned and the offender is not a seasoned one. The crime is done in a given situation where the offender has done something uncanny in circumstantial pressure. In such cases, capital punishment should be avoided. 

9 hours ago, pwarbi said:

How? We can't punish people before they commit a crime. All we can do is try and punish those that have committed a crime and hope that their sentence puts others off doing the same offence. Crimes will always be for all manner of reasons no matter what we do to educate people so while the punishment might not prevent crime, it can used as an example to others and a warning as what happen to them in the future.

I am not saying punish people before they commit a crime. What I am simply saying in nutshell, as much as possible, the system should be put in a way to make it impossible or extremely hard for crime to be perpetrated. There should be thorough policing

I'm 100% in favor of the death penalty. You cannot easily rid a country of crime but you can surely and effectively minimize it by introducing fear to people. It's cost efficient and it won't overcrowd your cell with these lowly good for nothing criminals. I know taking someone's life is against the teaching of the church but when would those people learn if you don't implement strict governance?

1 hour ago, tonyb said:

I am not saying punish people before they commit a crime. What I am simply saying in nutshell, as much as possible, the system should be put in a way to make it impossible or extremely hard for crime to be perpetrated. There should be thorough policing

I see what you mean now, sorry for the confusion. I agree and more money needs to be invested into the police to try and stop the crimes before they are committed but over here in the UK, the exact opposite is happening and less funds are being made available and the police are having to cut back on services.

Surely the government can see that is going to increase the crime rate and put even more pressure on the system as well as putting peoples lives in even more risk including the actual police officers that are serving.

I am not in favor of death penalty. Actually, in my home country Nepal, there is no capital punishment. The maximum punishment for the gravest crime is 20 years of imprisonment and confiscation of property. I believe human beings do not have control over life and death of any person. Life is the ift of God and only God can take back life

4 hours ago, Vinaya said:

I am not in favor of death penalty. Actually, in my home country Nepal, there is no capital punishment. The maximum punishment for the gravest crime is 20 years of imprisonment and confiscation of property. I believe human beings do not have control over life and death of any person. Life is the ift of God and only God can take back life

In our country death penalty still exists but in rarest of the rare cases.  There were many instances of terrorists hijacking planes asking for release of their friends.  Why should we pave the way for such a situation?  Terrorism is cancer to society which needs to be eliminated. 

I can say that we have no right to end life of anybody else  which is a gift of God.  But I think even God is not against eliminating evil forces from this universe.  My only concern is that no innocent should be hanged to death because once it is done we can’t undo it.  So there should be enough investigations and trials before taking a final decision.  

I strictly object death penalty. However, I also believe that in some cased death penalty should be exercised. For example, if there was a trial for Bin Laden, he should have been given death penalty. Saddam Hussain was rightfully given death penalty. I believe a person who carries out terrorist acts must be given death penalty.

No because in my opinion, even the criminal deserves death, it would just be an easy way out and I think having to live in horrible conditions with horrible people is an even worse punishment. Plus, it's best not to kill someone because they might actually be innocent and jail time might be enough to find proof of innocence